| Download/Print Rider Instructions + Course Strip Map, click here
Return to the 2015 Palm Desert Century, click here
2015 PALM DESERT CENTURY, Saturday, November 14, 2015
PalmDesert // Chiriaco Summit // Palm Desert, California, USA
WELCOME and THANKS for joining the 5th Annual Palm Desert Century. These important instructions will help insure your safety and comfort. The Palm Desert Century rolls rain or shine. Visit the website for any last-minute changes before departing for Palm Desert.
1. Safety: First & foremost, SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT! Everyone at the event must be Alert and Focused at all times. Ride as if your life depends on your own actions, because it does! This is a “RULES OF THE ROAD” event, meaning riders must comply with all Traffic Laws, including stopping at Red Light Signals and Stop Signs. Police will issue tickets to riders disregarding Traffic Laws. Riders failing to heed Stop Lights and Signs will be disqualified from the entire event. The Palm Desert Century is a recreational RIDE,not a race!
2. Packet Pick up/Registration: Riders may pickup rider packets, or register in person, on Fri, Nov 13, at University Park (Start/Finish) from Noon to 8:00 P.M, or on Sat, Nov 14 from 5:45 to 8:00 A.M. Address: 74-902 College Drive,Palm Desert, CA 92260 (map it). Riders may pick up friends’ packets with written permission (i.e. a printed email). To speed Sat pick-up, please check the Rider’s List for your Bib # and arrive with full water bottles.
3. Parking: Volunteers/signs will guide riders to designated parking areas near the Start/Finish in University Park onSat, 1st Come, 1st Served. Overflow parking is across Cook St in the CSUSB Campus Parking Lot “B” ONLY! Recommend Carpooling. Heed all “No Event Parking” signs. Be courteous to local businesses (i.e. don’t park in the Carl’s Jr spaces). Lots open at 5:30 A.M.
4. Jerseys/T-shirts: Riders who purchased jerseys before Sep 30 receive them at packet pick up. After Sep 30, jerseys are available directly from Voler, mailed in 1 week, w/free shipping. T-shirts will be at packet pick up for riders who purchased them. See website for more info.
5. Bike Inspection: Riders must individually insure their bicycle is mechanically sound and equipped with fully serviceable brakes,wheels, and tires. WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE every rider get a professional tune-up and safety inspection prior to the ride. Replace all questionable components, especially tires. The desert is no place for worn-out tires!
6. Bib Numbers: Bib numbers (aka, helmet numbers) are assigned to each rider and posted on the shadowtour.com website under “Rider Lists”. Please locate your Bib #before entering the line at packet pick up. A cross-referenced Alphabetical Rider Roster will also be posted.
7. Wristbands: Please loosely affix your enclosed wristband(s) to either wrist.
Gold: Full Century w/Time Trial pass to all Rest Stops (marked at turnaround point).
Silver: Full Century Only pass to all Rest Stops (marked at turnaround point).
Yellow: Short Course pass to all Rest Stops (will not be marked).
Red/White/Blue Flag: Lunch location at turnaround (50-mile point).
Checkered Flag: Lunch location at Start/Finish in Palm Desert.
8. Start Times: The Start Window for all distances is 6:30 – 8:00 A.M, in waves of 30 riders, at 2-3 min intervals. We STRONGLY RECOMMEND that all Full Century riders DEPART AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Lunches begin at 10:00A.M, in Palm Desert & the 50-mile turnaround. Plan your ride accordingly. Course maps & Cue Sheets will be available at Packet Pick up.
9. Mechanic Support: Mechanic support will be at the Start/Finish on Sat morning. At 8:00 A.M. SAG vehicles/mechanics roam the course. Please pay mechanics for parts they replace.
10. Full Century: Full Course Riders must have wristbands validated at the turnaround and need to check in at the Finish to record successful completion. Names & Cities of Full Century Finishers will be posted on the website. Time Trial Riders must turn in Timing Chips at the 50-mi turnaround. Short Course riders are not eligible for the Full Century List.
11. Helmets/Safety: Riders must wear a serviceable Snell-approved helmet while riding. Ride on the far right side of the road, single file. Never gesture at, or harass,vehicles. Headphones/iPods are not permitted while riding. Parents must accompany minors.
12. Red Zones: In designated RED ZONES (potentially hazardous areas)use EXTRA CAUTION. In Red Zones, reduce your speed to a max of 20 MPH and stay as far tothe right as safely possible. Red Zones are the Ave 52 Traffic Circle,at miles 12 & 88, and Box Canyon Rd,miles 35-65. Red Zones apply in both directions and are marked with signs and have Police/CHP support. Use extra care at all Left Turns. Riders must stay alert and protect themselves AT ALL TIMES. ALWAYS point out obstacle to riders behind you.
13. Gear Drop: Sat morning in Start/Finish area. Don’t leave valuables, as we cannot guarantee security. This service is primarily for riders wishing to leave outer layers of warm clothing worn just prior to the start. A special on-route gear drop is at Rest Stop #1 (only) until 10:00 A.M Sharp! These bags will be returned to Palm Desert at 10:30 A.M. and stored at the Start/Finish. Gear bags are marked & sorted by Bib#. Remember to pick up gear bags! Unclaimed gear bags will be returned at rider’s expense ($10).
14. Weather: Forecasts will be posted on the ShadowTour website as the event nears. Expect a cool morning, warming to 70-75F, with winds developing in the P.M. Recommend lightweight arm warmers + base layer. Expect headwinds in the P.M. returning to Palm Desert!
15. Timeline andTime Cut-offs (Sat):
5:30 A.M. Event Parking Lots Open. Please time your arrival accordingly.
5:45 - 8:00 A.M. Registration/Packet Pick-up in Palm Desert University Park (Start/Finish)
6:30 - 8:00 A.M. Wave starts of approximately 30riders at 2-3 minute intervals
10:00-1:15 P.M. Lunch open at 50-mile turnaround for riders opting for lunch at turnaround
10:00-5:00 P.M. Lunch open at Start/Finish for riders opting for lunch in Palm Desert
11:45 A.M. Intersection at 66th Ave & Hwy 111(Grapefruit) closes to outbound riders.
Noon Box Cyn Rd closes to outbound riders at RS #3, mile 35. No Exceptions!
1:00 P.M. Mandatory turnaround, all riders must be returning to Palm Desert
1:15 P.M. Rest Stop #4,turnaround point, mile 50, on Chiriaco Summit, closes
2:15 P.M. Rest Stop #3/5, Box Canyon, mile 35/65 , closes
3:00 P.M. Rest Stop #2/6, Las Palmitas Elementary, mile25/75, closes
4:00 P.M. Rest Stop #1/7, Westside Elementary School, mile16/84, closes
5:00 P.M. Course closes. All riders must be off the bike course.
6:00 P.M. CSUSB Campus Parking Lot “B” Closes. All event vehicles must be moved.
16. Routes: This is an out-and-back course. The course is designed to allow the following distances with full support. Permit restrictions preclude riders from turning around at the Ave 52 Traffic Circle. Riders must flow only North& South on Jefferson through the Traffic Circle.
20 mile course: To Ave 48 turnaround, and back to Palm Desert(mini Rest Stop @ mi 6 & 14)
32 mile course: To Rest Stop #1, Westside Elementary School, andback to Palm Desert
50 mile course: To Rest Stop #2, Las Palmitas Elementary, andback to Palm Desert
60 mile course: To 66th Ave/Hwy 111 (Grapefruit)intersection, and back to Palm Desert
70 mile course: To Rest Stop #3, on Box Cyn Rd, and back to PalmDesert
100 mile course: To turnaround point, Chiriaco Summit, mile 50, and backto Palm Desert
130 mile course: Add one Chiraco Summit round-trip to century course(subject to Noon cut-off)
17. Rest Stops: Four static Rest Stops support riders in both directions and provide 7 chances to re-hydrate, carb-up, and get course info. All Rest Stops have portajohns--use them--not the bushes! Use extra caution riding in Rest Stop areas. Announce “Stopping!” to avoid rear-end crashes. Move bicyclescompletely off the road. Outside support from friends & family in vehicles is not permitted anywhere on the course. See FAQ’s for more details.
Rest Stop #1/7 (7:15–4:00 P.M.): Westside Elementary (mile 16), also Rest Stop 7 (mile 84)
Rest Stop #2/6 (7:45–3:00 P.M.): Las Palmitas Elementary (mile 25), also Rest Stop 6 (mile 75)
RestStop #3/5 (8:15–2:15 P.M.): Box Canyon Rd(mile 35), also Rest Stop 5 (mile 65)
Rest Stop #4/Lunch (9:15–1:15P.M.): Turnaround point, Chiriaco Summit (mile 50)
18. Route Markings/CueSheets: Yellow arrows/signs,traffic cones, Police, CHP, and Vol’s will guide you. All riders are given a map in their packets. Cue sheets are at packet pick-up. Be flexible, routes can change as the event date nears. Visit the website for final route updates.
19. Optional ChipTiming: The chip timed 15-mile uphill Chiriaco Summit Solo Time Trial is onlyfor paid Full Century riders. Pick up Timing chips on Fri or Sat. Return timing chips at the 50-mile turn aroundor Start/Finish. There is an $85 feefor missing chips.
20. Share the Road: Vehicular traffic varies widely. There will be local traffic and out-of-town visitors, RVs, and vehicles pulling trailers. Ride single file at all times and stay alert for passing vehicles. In groups,announce “Car back!” and give extra room, if safely possible. Use extra caution at the Traffic Circle and on Box Cyn Rd (North & South); come to a complete stop at all Red signals and Stop Signs. Ride to the right of the white line at all times when safe to do so. Keep your cool if vehicles honk/behave aggressively. Inform Police Officers of unsafe drivers. Please assist other PDC riders if they need it!
21. Stores: There are stores/gas stations near Mecca, miles 27-31, which are open if you want sodas, V-8, or items not at Rest Stops (bring cash). All event Rest Stops are well-stocked.
22. Floor Pumps/FirstAid Kits: Available at the Start, each Rest Stop, and the Lunch Stop.
23. SAG Support: SAG vehicles will be roaming the course marked with orange magnetic signs. Flag them down if you have a mechanical problem, need water, or need other assistance. Riders must carry (at the least) spare tubes, tire levers, and a small pump/CO2 inflators. Personal SAG vehicles are not permitted anywhere on the course.
24. Included Lunch: All riders receive an included Subway sandwich lunch. Wristbands reflect each rider’s choice for lunch location: The50-mile turnaround point (Flag wristband), or the Start/Finish in Palm Desert(Checked wristband). Lunch at the turnaround runs from 10:00 A.M. to 1:15 P.M. Lunch in Palm Desert runs from 10:00A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Please plan your ride start and finish times accordingly. Wristbands are removed after riders receive their lunch.
25. Trash: Please keep all your on-route trash (especially Clif Bar wrappers, Gel packets, and Banana peels). Use trash bags located at all Rest Stops, the Lunch Stop, and the Start/Finish.
26. Ride Momentos: A limited quantity of event jerseys and t-shirts will be for sale after the ride in the Start/Finish area. Paid riders receive a Custom Pin & Custom Finisher Medal.
27. Course Marshals: Course Marshals are identified by Yellow Vests. Most volunteers are trained only with their station’s operation. For higher level support, ask for a Course Marshal.
28. Ride Photos: Photoworks is handling event photography services. They post photos by Bib #. Affix the helmet sticker on the front of your helmet before the ride.
29. Volunteers: Many Thanks to the Palm DesertHigh School PTA Foundation Volunteers for all their hard work! They put in many hours of preparation. These Volunteers are giving up their weekend to help you enjoy yours. This is a primary annual fundraiser. Please be courteous to all Vol’s. Your donations are greatly appreciated at the event & online. Here’s the Donation link.
30. EmergencyNumbers: For Emergencies,Dial 9-1-1. For mechanical/non-emergencies on the course, call Shadow Tour Staff/Vol’s: Jim 858-692-6220; Matt (Traction Bicycles-Mechanic) 619-379-5150. Shane (Rest Stop Crew Chief): 619-857-5455. Cellphone coverage is limited, but is available on most parts of the course.
MANY THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2015 PALM DESERT CENTURY! We hope to see you again at the 12th Annual Stagecoach on Jan 16th, 2016 and that you’ll recommend us to yourfriends. We always welcome your constructive feedback. Feel free to email your comments to: email@example.com.
Enjoy Your Ride, RideDefensively, and Always Be Alert!
Event Director/Managing Member
Shadow Tour, LLC
Course Strip Map: (Download PDF: click here)